As the Director of Manufacturing Engineering you will recruit, develop, and lead a team of mechanical, electrical, optical, test, and quality engineers to support new product development and scale out of Velo3D’s production operations through contract manufacturers.
The role includes a strategic and a tactical element to it, specifically this includes implementation of current EMS/CM centric manufacturing strategy and scale it through leading an effective manufacturing engineering team. At the tactical level, the leader will have to drive a “doer” manufacturing engineering organization that gets things done and that is operating quickly, effectively, accurately and leanly, not relying on cumbersome, bureaucratic “empires” that bog the whole company down.
In addition to this, the Director of Manufacturing Engineering is expected to be a critical business partner to the VP of Operations & SCM and he/she is expected to bring a valuable manufacturing perspective and mentorship to the company. Culturally, we are looking for a self-starter with strong leadership and coaching experience and a “roll-up-the-sleeves” mindset who enjoys working in a highly dynamic startup environment.
- Recruit and build a team of multi-disciplinary engineers electrical, mechanical, industrial to support scale out manufacture of Velo3d product.
- Drive key initiatives and deliverables:
- develop and deploy lean/6s and 6sigma QMS within velo3d’s supply chain (currently leveraging a outsourced EMS partner)
- design production tooling, test equipment and associated test diagnostic software
- change control management: velo3d is rapidly developing
- propose, design and implement product changes for manufacturability quality, delivery, cost
- source, qualify, and develop supply chain partners
- author and promulgate product and process quality standards and manufacturing instructions and policies; develop a system track conformance to these standards
- own npi and production change management processes. Coordinate with stakeholders to develop and refine efficient communication and implementation strategies within velo’s supply chain.
- Experience in building manufacturing operations in a startup company, in particular:
- Rich experience in selecting and scaling up contract manufacturer (EMS) partners
- Rich experience in assessing/ensuring product readiness for manufacturing and NPI
- Experience in leading manufacturing engineering in a company that develops and sells complex equipment (e.g. capital equipment, scientific equipment, medical equipment)
- >10 years of manufacturing execution experience with at least 5 years managing teams
YEAR ONE CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Deliverables 3, 6, 12mo; Pursuant to key initiatives described above
- Lean/6s, 6 Sigma process roadmap
- Documented quality standards
- Team initiatives scope defined/assigned
- Product delivery
- Supply chain scale
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in industrial engineering or a related technical field.